Sunday, August 6, 2017

Delicious Granola 'n Greens (Greenola!)


I, too, was skeptical that this would even be remotely tasty. But I'm actually very pleased with the final result and will, from now on, always make my homemade granola with greens. I often double or quadruple this recipe. It's good without the greens as well.

Ingredients:

2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1/2 to 1 tsp cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice (to taste)
1/3 cup tahini
1/3 cup maple syrup
1 to 1 1/2 cups fine-chopped greens such as kale, chard, beet greens and/or turnip greens (this will be about 3 cups of leaves)
3/4 cup raisins, goji berries, dried cranberries or other dried fruit
1/4 cup raw pumpkin seeds
(I prefer a bit more of the add-ins, so these last two ingredients are "to taste")


1. Preheat oven to 350° F. 

2. Wash and de-stem 3 cups or so of greens. Pulverize them in the food processor until they look like this:

You should have 1 to 1½ cups of finely chopped greens.

3. In a large bowl, mix oats with spices. Stir in the chopped greens. 

4. You can pre-mix the tahini and maple syrup in a small bowl if you want (it might be helpful if your tahini is lumpy). I just dump them into the oat mixture one after the other.

5. Stir with vigor until everything is evenly combined. Spread onto a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper.


6. Bake for 30 minutes, and give it a stir 1 or 2 times during the baking. Allow to cool. While cooling, it will crisp up. When it is sort of cool, add fruit and seeds. You can add pretty much any granola-like add-in here (coconut, sesame seeds). I'm not going to tell you what to do with your life. When it is totally cool, store in an airtight container.


As you can see here, I enjoy my granola swimming in almond milk:



No comments:

Post a Comment